Pita pockets filled with succulent chicken pieces, olives, pesto sauce and various crunchy toppings are a great quick and easy lunch or light meal option for every day.
What are pita pockets?
Pita is a small round bread with a pocket in the middle. When the pita bread is cooked in the oven on high heat, the steam makes the dough puff and it creates an empty pocket in the middle of the bread. When the bread is sliced open after it has cooled down, the pocket is perfect to fill with the most delicious ingredients.
Chicken pita recipe
Filling the pita pockets with some succulent chicken pieces is a great option for a light and easy meal. Just use your favourite marinade or spices after the chicken breast has been cut into small pieces. I have used a combination of chicken spices and greek herbs, which is a blend of mainly dried oregano, thyme, marjoram, parsley and garlic to get a nice mediterranean flavour.
I also add some balsamic vinegar over the chicken while frying it in the pan, since it makes the chicken soft and succulent.
As a sauce, you can use anything from a spicy mayonnaise, garlic sauce or hummus. I have used this roasted chestnut and rocket pesto sauce which goes really well with the chicken.
As additional toppings, you can use anything that goes into a greek salad; such as cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and olives. Just be careful not to fill the pockets up too much or it will be difficult to eat without making a mess.
Chicken pita pockets with olives
- 4 pita pocket bread
- 500 g (16oz) chicken breast thinly sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chicken spices
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed greek herbs
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon cream
- tomatoes thinly sliced
- green olives
- red onion thinly sliced
- cucumber thinly sliced
- pesto sauce
- Cut the chicken breast into very thin slices, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chicken spices.
- Preheat a frying pan on high heat and add the chicken, diced onion and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes until all the chicken pieces are browned. Add the balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with the greek herbs. Reduce to medium heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and let it continue to simmer on medium heat till the sauce thickens a bit. Add seasoning to taste.
- Cut the pita pockets, add the chicken and your favourite toppings from the list.
Inspired to prepare this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it to your Pinterest board for later.