Zucchini soup with arugula
This arugula zucchini soup is healthy, light and easy to make. Adding peppery arugula leaves gives this zucchini soup a delicious burst of flavour. Serve with some homemade croutons to make it a light and comforting meal.
- 1½ pounds (or 700 grams) zucchini cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups (or 1 litre) vegetable broth or 1 litre of water with 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 3 cups (or 60 grams) arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 bayleaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh arugula lettuce roughly chopped
Heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté them until translucent for 3 minutes. Add the diced zucchini and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes until the zucchini starts to soften.
Add the vegetable broth, bayleaves and thyme. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Remove the bayleaves, add arugula and leave to simmer for 3 minutes.
Purée the soup in a blender or with an immersion or hand mixer. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with chopped fresh arugula and croutons.
- Zucchini skin is nutritious, full of fibre and edible, so no need to peel the zucchini.
- Add more water or broth if the soup is too thick after blending.
- Add more arugula to taste.