Italian green beans with garlic and onion
Italian green beans or flat beans with garlic and onion is a simple but very flavourful dish. They are easy to combine with lots of other ingredients as a side dish and are delicious to serve as an appetizer.
Calories per serving: 123kcal
- 500 g (1 lb or 17 ounces) Italian green beans or Flat beans
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 dried chilli pepper whole, not cut
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Wash and trim the ends of the beans, then slice them into 3 cm (or 1 inch) sections. Bring some water to the boil in a medium pan and add a pinch of salt. Add the sliced beans to the boiling water and cook for 8 minutes. Drain the water and set the beans aside.
In a skillet or frying pan, heat the oil and add the sliced garlic, chilli pepper and chopped onion. Fry for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the cooked beans together with salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, then add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- This dish can very easily be prepared in advance then kept in the fridge and later served as a cold side dish or appetizer, which is very nice on a warm day. This dish is also perfectly edible at ambient or room temperature.