Ham and Asparagus Quiche
This savoury ham and asparagus quiche is perfect for a light meal. The balanced flavour of the salty cured ham and earthy asparagus combines great with the full flavour of the cheese in this quiche recipe.
- 300 g (10 ounces) fresh green asparagus spears
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) cream
- 1 packet puff pastry or flaky pie pastry
- 6 slices cured ham Serrano ham or Parma ham
- 1 cup grated cheese Cheddar, Gruyere or Emmental.
- freshly ground pepper
- dried herbs mix Mix dried oregano, basil and majoram
- ground nutmeg a pinch
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).Wash the asparagus and cut off the hard end at the bottom. Cut the spears into chunks of 4 cm (or 1,5 inch). Take a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the water and let the asparagus cool down.
Press the pie crust into a greased quiche pan or put baking paper instead of greasing the pan. Take a fork and poke the crust all around. Arrange the asparagus cuts evenly on the pie. Cut the ham slices in half and arrange them around the asparagus.
Take a bowl and whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, pinch of nutmeg and dried herbs. Pour over the ham and asparagus in the quiche pan. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the mixture.
Put the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the centre of the quiche is just set and firm. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- If you have no cured ham, you can use cooked ham. Use 200 g (or 7 ounces) of finely diced cooked ham.
- This quiche can either be served cold out of the fridge or hot out of the oven (just let it cool off a bit before serving).