Roasted chestnut and rocket pesto sauce
This roasted chestnut and rocket pesto provides an interesting pungent twist and is a cheaper alternative to the traditional pesto Genovese.
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) Rocket leaves
- ½ cup chestnuts roasted and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup parmezan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon seasalt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Use a pairing knife to make a small cut in the round end of the chestnut.
In a dry frying pan, add the chestnuts on medium heat and roasted for 10 minutes until soft.
Peel the chestnuts when cooled down.
Add the peeled chestnuts, parmezan cheese, garlic, rucola leaves, salt, pepper and half the olive oil in a chopper and mix until you get a coarse texture.
Add extra lemon juice and olive oil if the pesto is still too dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a food processor for a smooth consistency and texture.