Fluffy scrambled eggs topped with silky slivers of smoked salmon on toast combined with soft cream cheese, cherry tomatoes and chives elevates this breakfast recipe to that of a scrumptious feast. In just under 15 minutes you can bring a tasty, delicious and luxurious breakfast to the table.
Admittedly, eating smoked salmon for breakfast is not an everyday thing, well, for some people maybe but not for most. It does however raise any breakfast to a real indulgence. So this meal of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast with cream cheese and cherry tomatoes comes together in no-time. It’s luxurious, easy to make and very delicious. It will be a family favourite for special days, for Sunday mornings or just when you feel you deserve a scrumptious treat.
Ingredients for eggs and salmon on toast
- Smoked salmon: I use supermarket bought smoked salmon. Use any smoked salmon brand you prefer.
- Eggs: I use medium sized fresh eggs. Count on 2 eggs per person.
- Milk: Use a dash of full fat milk with the eggs to make them extra creamy and fluffy.
- Cream cheese: Adding a thin layer of cream cheese on the toast gives extra freshness and taste.
- Cherry tomatoes: The smaller cherry tomatoes cut in wedges present nicely by adding extra colour. They also provide this dish with a slightly tart taste. Use any other tomatoes to your liking or what you have at home.
- Toast: I used a farmers loaf. Feel free to use a slice of sourdough, multigrain bread, crunchy baguette or french loaf.
- Chives: Fresh chives have a milk garlic and onion taste which pairs excellently with smoked salmon and eggs.
- Seasoning: Just some sea salt and freshly ground pepper is all you need.
How to make this savoury breakfast toast
Note: All the exact quantities of the ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Prepare the toast
Place the sliced bread in a dry grill pan (I prefer dry grilling) or make the toast as you usually prepare it. Make sure not to toast the bread too hard. I like to have the bread only lightly roasted so it’s still firm enough to hold the egg and salmon, has a nice crunch, but is still soft on the inside.
Make the scrambled eggs
The best scrambled eggs are creamy and fluffy but still a tiny bit runny. Try not to overcook them as they will become too dry.
Here’s how you do it:
First, crack the eggs in to a mixing bowl and add a dash of milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. I use about one tablespoon milk per egg. Whisk the eggs and milk together. Melt butter in a non stick pan over medium-low heat. Pour in the whisked eggs and leave to cook undisturbed for about 30 seconds until a thin layer starts to form at the bottom. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to lift and fold the layer from the bottom of the pan. From there, slowly move the spatula up and down the pan to give the egg the change to set and scrape it off again. Keep stirring until the eggs are slightly set. Remove the pan from the heat. The eggs will continue cooking in the hot pan. You will want fluffy eggs that are still creamy and only just set.
Assemble the eggs and salmon on toast
Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on the toast slices. Spoon some scrambled eggs over them. Divide the cherry tomatoes cut in wedges over the eggs. Place slices of smoked salmon on top and garnish with chopped fresh chives. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
Can you eat this dish warm?
Yes, you can eat this toast warm. Follow all the steps mentioned above apart from the chives. Preheat a grill to 365°F or 185°C. Place the salmon and scrambled egg toast for maximum 3-5 minutes under the grill. Serve immediately and garnish with fresh herbs after grilling.
This dish can either be served as breakfast or as part of a brunch table. Here are some extra recipe variations to add flavour to this dish or to alter the recipe to suit the occasion or season:
- Capers: The salty and tangy taste of capers goes really well with smoked salmon. Consider adding some when serving this salmon recipe for brunch. I would not add this for breakfast as the taste can be quite strong.
- Shallots: Cut a shallot finely and add a little bit to lift up the flavour.
- Herbs: Use spring onions instead of chives or consider fresh parsley or dill.
- Avocado: Mix a ripe avocado with the cream cheese and use this as a spread on the toast. Or slice some avocado and place it on the toast with the eggs and salmon on top.
More recipes with smoked salmon to try
Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons full fat milk
- 4 slices bread toasted or grilled
- 3.5 ounces (or 100 grams) smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 4 cherry tomatoes cut in wedges
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- fresh chives
- Break 4 eggs in a large bowl, add milk, salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Melt butter in a medium sized nonstick skillet or frying pan over medium-low heat. Pour in the egg mixture and leave to cook undisturbed for 20-30 seconds until a thin layer is set on the bottom of the pan. With a spatula or wooden spoon, slowly stir the eggs, lifting and folding from the bottom of the pan and keep stirring until the eggs are cooked and fluffy. Make sure they are not browned.
- Spread cream cheese on the toasts. Divide the scrambled eggs over the toasts. Place the cherry tomato wedges on top of the eggs. Arrange the smoked salmon over the eggs. Garnish with chopped chives and season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Served immediately.
Inspired to prepare this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it to your Pinterest boards for later: