These delicious cheese nachos with beef and various toppings will make any dinner party finger licking good. This under 30 minute meal is quick and easy to prepare.
Oven baked cheese nachos with beef
These ground beef nachos with cheese topping are great as an appetizer before any meal and they make a fun party snack. They can either be served in the oven dish itself on the table, but they are also great to serve in small plates for everyone to add their favourite toppings.
How to make beef nachos with cheese
- First of all, you need a good quality of nacho chips, preferably without added flavour, so go for the natural ones. The flavour will come with all the toppings you are going to add. The cheaper nacho chips might get soggy after putting all the wetter ingredients on top and you won’t be able to eat them crunchy anymore, and they will fall apart.
- For me, the cheese to be used should not be a too strong flavoured cheese and it should be easy to melt. Any cheese from Gouda, Emmental, Gruyere, Cheddar or Mozzarella will do fine. But again, this is up to personal taste.
- Lots of people add beans to the dish, which I have not done in this recipe. Since for me this is rather an appetizer, adding beans makes the dish too heavy. Feel free to add them when serving as a larger meal or main course.
- Make sure the oven dish is large enough to only have one or two layers of chips at the bottom. Otherwise you will end up with too many layers of chips without any topping.
- Depending on how well your guests can stand spicy food, don’t go overboard with the jalapeño peppers if they are too hot. It would not be nice if the cheese nachos will not get eaten. So know the guests you are cooking for.
Oven baked ground beef nachos with cheese
- 1 medium size bag of tortilla chips
- 250 g minced beef / ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Taco spices
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons spring onions
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
Prepare the beef topping
- Add olive oil to a skillet and glaze the diced onions and garlic on medium heat.
- Add the beef mince in small pieces to the skillet with the onions and garlic and increase the heat. Brown the mince for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add taco spices to taste.
Preparation of the oven dish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 350°F).
- Shred the Cheddar cheese, dice the tomatoes and jalapeño pepper.
- Place the nachos chips evenly in an oven dish.
- Add the fried beef and onion mix.
- Sprinkle the tomato and jalapeño evenly on top.
- Finish off with the shredded cheese
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Finish the Nachos and cheese
- Sprinkle the chopped spring onions on top.
- Add additional toppings (sour cream, avocado and fresh cilantro) according to taste. Serve these extra toppings in small plates next to the dish. Don't add fresh sour cream or avocado / guacamole on warm food.
- I have used Cheddar cheese, but any easy melting cheese can be used, like mozzarella, Emmental, Gruyere, Gouda,...