This homemade honey mustard dressing is rich, creamy, tangy, sweet and delicious. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this honey mustard vinaigrette will be your go-to dressing for a wide range of salads.
I used to make it easy for myself and just drizzle some olive oil and vinegar over a salad, season with salt and pepper and be done with it. Admittedly, I have never been a huge fan of ready-made, store-bought salad dressings either. Well, it was only the fact that it was easy, but it never tasted very nice. The lettuce leaves would be coated with oil and the vinegar would go straight to the bottom of the salad bowl. I would end up eating my delicious salad with a spoonful of acidic vinegar.
Since I started making this honey mustard dressing recipe, this has been my go-to salad vinaigrette. The sweet and tangy flavours are so versatile that they go well with a whole range of different salads. And you can make it either on the spot or in a larger batch and store it in the fridge for a few weeks. So you always have this salad dressing at hand when you need it.
Which ingredients to use
This honey mustard dressing recipe only consists of a handful of ingredients, which most people should have in their pantry. Here’s what you need:
- Olive oil: A good quality olive oil provides a deliciously bold taste to this dressing. If you’re not a fan of olive oil, you can use grapeseed, rapeseed, canola or any other salad oil.
- Vinegar: Use a mild-tasting vinegar like apple cider or white wine vinegar.
- Dijon mustard: Make sure to use a good quality Dijon mustard. It provides a nice tang to the dressing and maintains a good balance with the sweet honey.
- Honey: Honey is what provides the sweetness in this dressing.
- Salt and pepper: Always season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to make this salad dressing
Note: All the exact quantities of the ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
This honey mustard vinaigrette is so quick to make as it comes together in just a couple of minutes. In a small mixing bowl, add the mustard, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper, then mix well until all the ingredients are well combined. Then slowly add the olive oil and whisk well until the dressing is emulsified into a creamy consistency.
- I always first mix all the ingredients before adding the oil. In my opinion, the salad dressing holds its consistency better and longer when the oil is whisked in after all the other ingredients are mixed well together.
- I use a ratio between oil and vinegar of 3:1 when used as a salad dressing, ie 3 tablespoons of oil to 1 tablespoon of vinegar. However, keep in mind that not all vinegar has the same taste and strength, so depending on which vinegar you use, the taste and acidity can vary.
Another way of making this dressing is to add all the ingredients in a Mason or resealable jar and shake well until all separate ingredients are mixed into a smooth consistency. The advantage is that you have fewer dishes (or rather none at all) if you make a larger batch. Just keep it in the fridge in this jar. But, I find that the dressing does not hold its consistency that well.
Make this dressing in the quantity needed every time you want to use it. Or make a larger batch and store it in a jar with a closed lid for at least a week in the fridge and use when needed. The balanced flavour combination fits with a whole range of different salads. Here are some salad examples you can use this dressing on:
- Pear and gorgonzola salad
- Fresh fig and feta cheese salad
- Little gem salad with anchovy and bell pepper salsa
- Belgian endive salad with apple, ham and feta
- Dill pickle potato salad
- Italian green beans with garlic and onion
Just experiment with different flavour and ingredient combinations. Enjoy!
Honey mustard dressing
- 6 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the olive oil and whisk well to combine it all into a thick, creamy consistency.
Subscribe to The Tasty Chilli
Sign up here to receive my latest news and freshest new recipes delivered straight from my kitchen to your inbox!
You have successfully subscribed! Please check your email for final confirmation.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it turned out! Leave a comment with rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #thetastychilli and tag me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
Inspired to prepare this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it to your Pinterest boards for later:
Subscribe To My Newsletter
Join my mailing list to receive my latest news and recipes!
You have Successfully Subscribed!