Mango chicken wraps are great for an easy lunch or as a quick dinner and will become your new family favourite. These wraps are loaded with grilled chicken strips, sweet mango, crunchy cucumbers and juicy tomatoes. Served with fresh cilantro and a dollop of homemade spicy mayo you are in for a delicious treat.
Making wraps is such a great way to combine colours, textures and flavours. You can basically use whatever leftovers you have in the fridge and layer it on the wrap. Chicken wraps are my all time favourite as they combine easily with a lot of ingredients. You can use shredded leftover cooked or roasted chicken with vegetables of your choice. For this chicken wrap recipe I decided to add a punch of flavours and use marinated grilled chicken strips combined with ripe, juicy and sweet mango as with this mango chicken curry recipe. Make sure to also try this delicious mango salsa.
How to make chicken wraps
Note: All the exact quantities of the ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Slice skinless, boneless chicken breast into fine long strips. Marinade the chicken strips in a mixture of Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and pepper. Optionally add fresh cilantro to the marinade. Mix well and leave to marinade in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes and maximum of 24 hours.
Remove the chicken from the marinade. Heat a grill pan or griddle on medium heat and sear the chicken strips until golden brown and cooked through.
Cut the tomato in thin slices, the cucumber in sticks, the onion in thin half moons and shred the lettuce leaves. Cut a fresh mango in cubes.
Place the flour tortillas on a plate and spread the entire surface with the spicy mayo dressing. Now layer all the ingredients one by one. Finish off with a handful of chopped fresh cilantro for extra flavour.
How to make spicy mayo dressing
This spicy mayo recipe makes a perfect match with the grilled chicken strips and the sweet mango cubes. Combining Greek yoghurt and mayonnaise makes the spicy mayo lighter and gives it extra freshness. Take some mayonnaise, Greek yoghurt, cayenne pepper, curry powder and chilli flakes and mix well. Add more or less chilli flakes according to personal preference.
Useful tips and tricks
- These mango chicken wraps can easily be make in advance. Assemble the wrap with all the required ingredients and use plastic cling film or aluminium foil to wrap it all up. Perfect to make ahead for your lunch box.
- You can use any dressing or sauce you want. I like the spicy mayo with these specific ingredients, but think about other options such as ranch dressing, Greek tzatziki sauce, hummus, roasted eggplant dip or any other sauce.
- Don’t overload the flour wraps otherwise rolling them nicely will fail and they’ll be difficult to eat.
Grilled chicken wrap with mango and spicy mayo
- 1 pound (or 500 grams) boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in long strips
- 1 fresh mango cut in cubes
- 4 ounces (or 100 grams) mixed lettuce leaves
- ½ cucumber cut in sticks
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced with seeds removed
- 1 onion (red or sweet onion) cut in half moons
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves optional
- 1 tablespoon Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
Marinate the chicken
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken in to long thin strips and add to the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap, place in fridge and allow to marinade for minimum 30 minutes up to 24 hours.
Make the spicy mayo dressing
- Combine the Greek yoghurt, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes and curry powder in a small bowl and mix well.
- Heat the grill pan or griddle on medium heat.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and grill the strips 4 minutes each side until golden brown and cooked through. Put the chicken aside for later.
Assemble the wrap
- Spread a teaspoon of spicy mayo dressing over the entire flour tortilla.
- Now add lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, mango cubes and chicken strips in layers. Garnish with fresh cilantro.