This asparagus omelet recipe is a healthy and tasty meal that comes together quickly with fluffy eggs wrapped around grilled asparagus and finished off with a pinch of flaky sea salt and fresh parsley. This asparagus and eggs recipe is perfect to serve as an indulgent and filling breakfast dish, as a light lunch or as part of a brunch table.
You know springtime has arrived when you find bundles of fresh asparagus appearing on the shelves of the supermarkets or brightening up local farmers markets. Fresh green asparagus have a distinct but subtle, earthy flavour and can be prepared in various different ways, from grilling, roasting, cooking, steaming to baked like in this ham and asparagus quiche. For this omelet, or omelette with asparagus I prefer to grill the spears as it enhances the light smoky flavour but otherwise retains the lovely bold flavours of the vegetable itself.
How to prepare asparagus spears
To prepare asparagus for cooking, grilling or roasting doesn’t take a lot of time, in fact, it is pretty easy and straightforward. Just give them a good rinse under cold running water to remove all the grit. Unlike white asparagus, there is no need to peel the skin off the green asparagus which is a huge time saver.
The only thing that is really important and should not be forgotten is to trim off the hard woody ends of the stalks. The easiest way to do this is by bending the end of the spear and it will snap where the woody part ends. So no need to cut it off, just try to estimate where the hard bit ends.
How to make omelette with asparagus
Grill the asparagus:
Once you’ve prepared the asparagus spears they are ready to be cooked. I prefer grilling the asparagus before adding them to the omelet. If you don’t have a grill pan, consider using a normal frying pan, which works perfectly fine as well.
Coat the asparagus with a little bit of olive oil and start grilling in a pan over medium to high heat. Turn regularly to avoid burning. They only need a couple of minutes and are ready when they are soft but still have a bit of a firm bite.
Make the asparagus omelette:
When serving this dish I make one omelet per person. So if you are serving this for a few people, you’ll have to repeat the steps. The whole amount of asparagus spears can be grilled together.
Whisk the eggs, milk or water, cream cheese, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Melt the butter in a medium sized non-stick pan on medium-low heat and pour the egg mixture into the pan. Swirl the pan around to evenly distribute the mixture. Leave to set for about 30 seconds to one minute or until the eggs start to firm up. Place the grilled asparagus in the middle of the omelet and gently fold the edges over the spears covering them like an envelope. Leave to cook for another 15 seconds and serve immediately with some chopped fresh parsley.
Interesting tips and tricks
- Add water or milk to the eggs: Adding water or milk makes the omelet more fluffy. Whether you use water or milk is more a personal choice. Regardless, both options will make the eggs nice and soft. Be careful not to add too much liquid though, otherwise the omelet won’t set properly. Adding maximum one tablespoon per two eggs is sufficient.
- Add cream cheese: I love to add some cream cheese to the mixture because it adds extra creaminess and flavour. I usually use a herb or garlic and herb cream cheese.
- Grilling asparagus: Depending on the size of the asparagus spears, the grilling time can be more or less than indicated. For this asparagus omelette I prefer to use the smaller sized or thin spears.
Interested in more brunch recipes?
- Ham and asparagus quiche
- Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast
- Warm blue cheese and fig bruschetta
- Spanish gazpacho soup
- Tuna stuffed mini peppers
- Feta stuffed Padrón peppers
Asparagus omelet recipe
For the asparagus
- 5 asparagus spears woody ends removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- flaky sea salt or fleur de sel to taste
For the omelet
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cream cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- fresh parsley finely chopped
For the asparagus
- Break off the woody ends of the asparagus spears. Place the asparagus spears in a rectangular dish and lightly coat with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and add the asparagus spears. Grill for 3-5 minutes while turning regularly until they are soft to your liking.
For the omelet
- In a mixing bowl, break the eggs and whisk them with the milk or water, cream cheese, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized non-stick pan or skillet over medium-low heat. When the butter starts to brown, pour in the egg mixture and swirl the pan to distribute the mixture evenly over the surface. Leave to settle for 30 seconds.
- Place the grilled asparagus spears in the middle of the omelet. With a spatula, gently fold the opposite sides of the omelet together in order to cover the asparagus. Leave to cook for another 15 seconds until the omelet is slightly set.
- Serve immediately with finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Grilled asparagus: The grill time of the asparagus will depend on the thickness of the spears and how you like to eat them. Some people love to have them very soft, others like to eat them with a bit of a firmer bite, like me. Check after 3 minutes if they are soft enough to your liking. If not, leave them in the pan until done.
- Multiple omelets: When making this dish for various people, serve each person their own omelet. You can grill all the asparagus together in the same pan, but make each omelet separately.
Inspired to prepare this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it to your Pinterest boards for later: